Thursday, July 19, 2012

I am a Work-At-Home Mom :: Not A Workaholic

I have been working from home since the mid 1990's and most of my friends and family members think that working from home is an easy job. Well, it's not! For years I had to take care of the house, the kidlet, the hubby, cook meals & run errands plus do my home business. For years I put in 10 hours a day, 6 days a week!

I thought things would get easier once our daughter left the nest a few years ago and while it did get a little easier, it is still hard being a work at home mom/grandmom. I work 9 to 11 hours a day, 5 days a week and then on the weekends I put in another 10 to 12 hours. The only time I get days off is when I am sick & in the hospital or when I am away on vacation. Even then, I am not totally unplugged from my businesses.

For the past couple of weeks I have given all of this much thought...I am tired of working these long hours, every stinking day of the week. I need more time for myself and more time for my family. About 2 weeks ago I came up with a new schedule so that I would have more "time" to do the things I need and want to do.

I am now trying to stick to working only 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and a total of 3 or 4 hours on the weekend. I will no longer be working holidays, period! When I am sick, I will unplug, when I am on vacation, I will unplug. There will be no more "working" vacations or "working" sick time. Nope, no more!

Whatever work is not done, it will wait until my next work day. I am not going to work 12 to 14 hours a day, trying to get everything done for every client quickly. Don't get me wrong, I know clients want work completed lickety split, but I am not going to bust my butt to get it done in a few hours. They have time off, I need time off.

Sometimes you need a good smack in the face to realize that you have become a workaholic and I got my "smack" and I am now going to be a work at home mom/grandmom but NOT a workaholic! That's my new game plan and I am sticking to it!

No comments: