|Image Courtesy of FreeImages.com|
Stars like Dame Helen Mirren and Demi Moore seem to defy aging. Is it possible for the average American to maintain a smooth face and lustrous tresses even as time marches on? Model, celebrity trainer and nutrition expert Joey Thurman says it is, provided you follow an age-defying diet and fitness plan.
“The food you put inside your body is going to reflect on your outside appearance, and I don’t just mean as far as your waistline,” says Thurman. “There are some foods which can actually age you faster than others, leaving you looking tired, bloated, and years older than you actually are. Thankfully, there are also plenty of foods which can help improve cell repair and keep you looking as young as you feel.”
Here are Thurman’s top five tips to help you age gracefully:
1) Eat healthy fats. “People tend to think that fat is the enemy,” says Thurman. “Yet that just isn’t true. There are bad fats such as lard and butter which are dangerous for your waistline and your heart health, but there are also healthy fats such as those found in olive oil and avocado. Not only do they taste great, but they have properties which can help to keep you looking young and feeling great.”
2) Hydration is key. “Your body needs water in order to perform even the most basic functions. It also needs water to help it stay looking young,” says the trainer, “Work more water into your diet by making infused waters at home with watermelon and other summer fruits.”
3) Eat guava. “Guava is a very trendy fruit right now in Hollywood,” says Thurman. “It is very high in Vitamin C which is an important component of any anti-aging diet. Not to mention, it just tastes great!”
4) Reach for sweet potatoes. “Sweet potatoes have been called the perfect food because they are low in calories but still high in fiber. They are packed with vitamins and minerals, and they can assist in cell repair. Bake or steam them, and then add some cinnamon. Or you can mash them and add a little garlic. No butter or sugar needed!”
5) Omega Fatty Acids. “Omega Fatty Acids are a key part of any anti-aging diet, not to mention any healthy lifestyle. You can get them from things like chia seeds or flax seeds, or foods like whole grains. You can also take supplements to help boost your intake.”
About Joey Thurman: Joey Thurman is a health, fitness, nutrition expert and the creator of The Lifestyle Renovation, a website dedicated to helping people achieve their health and fitness goals. Joey was named the best trainer in Chicago by the Chicago Sun Times in 2015. He has appeared on CBS, WGN, FOX, ABC and WCIU sharing his insights as a celebrity fitness trainer, published author and nutrition expert. Joey’s work has been featured in publications such as U.S. News and World Report, People Magazine, Livestrong.com, BodyBuilding.com, Inspiyr, TimeOut Chicago, RedEye, American Global Traveler, CaliDiet, Chicago Sun Times, and Brazen Women. Joey is a fashion model represented by Chosen Model Management where he works with brands including Neiman Marcus, Abercrombie, Jockey, Kohl's, and Carson Pirie Scott. He has also appeared on the covers of Healthy for Men and TimeOut Chicago. Joey is a Certified Personal Trainer (CPT), a Fitness Nutrition Specialist (FNS), a Certified Corporate Nutrition Professional (CCNP) and a FITchef. For more information, please visit www.thelifestylerenovation.com and follow Joey on Instagram and Twitter at @JoeyThurmanFit.