AARP The Magazine, Stanley Tucci shares his wife’s gluten-free Quinoa With Pomegranate & Pistachio recipe that makes a perfect side dish to complement the traditional offerings at this year’s Thanksgiving meal.
Healthy and full of flavor, the recipe is ideal for parents and kids alike who are following gluten-free diets and can easily be customized to add favorite cheeses (feta, goat, etc.) and/or spices:
Quinoa With Pomegranate & Pistachio Recipe
* Serves 6
· 2 cups quinoa
· Salt and pepper
· 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
· 6 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, plus 2 tablespoons for serving
· 3 tablespoons salted pistachios
· 3 scallions, chopped
· 1 orange, peeled and sliced into rounds (optional)
· Extra-virgin olive oil, for the orange
1. Rinse the quinoa in cold water to remove its bitterness.
2. Bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Dress with the olive oil and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and set aside to cool.
3. Gently mix the pomegranate seeds, pistachios and scallions into the quinoa. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4. Serve with sliced oranges dressed with olive oil, if desired.
Disclosure: Recipe and photo is courtesy of AARP Magazine.