Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Beautiful Purple Bearded Iris

One of my favorite late springtime flowers happens to be the beautiful purple bearded iris. Although I love the other colors and varieties that I grow in my flower garden...this one is my absolute favorite when it comes to the Iris.

I had always thought that they were hard to grow but my great auntie taught me differently. They are one of the easiest flowers to grow and they bring a lot of color to your backyard garden. I personally have dark purple, light purple, peach, white and yellow ones growing here on my property.

My great auntie told me years ago that the older generation calls the Iris...Flags. I am not sure why because they certainly don't look like Flags to me! Furthermore, I am not sure why they refer to them as "bearded" either. Strange names some of our flowers get!

Here in south central Pennsylvania my Iris typically bloom the #2 and #3 weeks during the month of May. If we had a mild winter and get an early spring then we will see them blooming the first week in the month. On average, mine will bloom for 7 to 10 days.

A few weeks ago I shared some photos with all of you and some easy Iris growing gardening tips. You can refer to that blog post if you need to learn more about growing them in your own backyard garden.

Today, I just wanted to share a few more photographs with all of you of my Purple Bearded Iris that I didn't feature in my last flower gardening blog post. They are just so pretty and I am going to miss them until I see them again next year.

1 comment:

jopb said...

I am glad that these flowers are not hard to grow. This purple iris is truly stunning and I might try to grow them too.