Sunday, December 22, 2013

Homemade Bread Pudding Recipe

When I was a little girl I would sit in the kitchen and watch my grandmother bake for hours on end! Seriously, some of my best and favorite memories of my grandmother was when she would allow me to come into the kitchen to help her bake. She was a great cook!

Back in the early 70's times were tough and women would through together whatever they had on hand to feed their families. One of the recipes my grandmother made often was her homemade bread pudding recipe.

Homemade Bread Pudding Recipe

3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 quart milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 slices of stale white bread
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Warm up the milk in a saucepan over low heat but do NOT boil it. Remove from heat. In a large mixing bowl beat the large eggs and then add the granulated sugar. Stir in the warm milk and vanilla extract. Tear the bread into pieces and stir them into the mixture. Fold in the raisins. Sprinkle in the nutmeg and the ground cinnamon until all ingredients are well combined. Pour the entire mixture into a casserole baking dish.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Remove from oven. You can serve it warm or refrigerate it and serve it chilled.


No comments: