Sunday, July 5, 2015

7 Container Plants to Help Repel Mosquitoes

We have a semi-large suburban property that is bordered on two sides by a tree line. Behind our property about a 1/2 mile is a small pond that seems to attract all kinds of wildlife and bugs. Mosquitoes have been a big problem in this area and it seems we are always getting bitten up, especially during the early morning or late evening hours.

I did some extensive research online and talked to a local gardening expert who educated me on some container plants that I could place around my patio, deck and front porch to help repel mosquitoes. I wanted plants in containers so that I can move them around our yard when we are entertaining family and friends.

Here are 7 Container Plants to Help Repel Mosquitoes. All of these plants are readily available at your local garden center or neighborhood nursery.

1. Citronella

2. Rosemary

3. Lemon Balm

4. Basil

5. Catnip

6. Lavender

7. Marigold

What I love about these plants is that many can do double duty in your garden. For example: The Rosemary and Basil can be used in the kitchen when you are cooking. The Lemon Balm, Marigold and Lavender are great in homemade bath, body and beauty products. Matter of fact, you can find some great DIY beauty recipes right here on my blog that call for those ingredients.

You can plant these plants in any containers that you would like. I used plastic planters, metal sand buckets, old metal watering cans and even an old metal mop bucket. The containers also added some interest and appeal to your garden decor and landscaping.

When the growing season is over here in the northeast, I remove my plants and save my gardening containers in our backyard shed for the next growing season. No need to go out and buy new containers!

We've had great success by planting these plants in containers to help repel the mosquitoes. We move them all around the yard, depending on where we are gathering, working or playing that day. It's been a great solution for us and we haven't used any nasty bug or pest repellents this year.

No comments: